First Congregational Church of Woodstock is a vibrant, inclusive Christian community where we gather to worship God, serve our neighbors, and grow in our faith through our relationships with one another. We believe that God’s love is for everyone—no matter who you are or where you are on life’s journey.
We are seeking a Music Director who, in collaboration with the Pastor and Worship Team, will craft and implement a vision for our music program that enhances the life and ministry of the congregation, incorporates a variety of musical styles, and uses an intergenerational approach to worship music.
The Music Director is a critical member of the ministry of the First Congregational Church of Woodstock (FCCW). The primary purpose of the director is to support the mission and further the vision of the congregation by enriching and expanding worship life through music.
FCCW has an experienced organist/accompanist on staff; a small, dedicated choir; several talented solo vocalists; and a volunteer bell choir that plays seasonally.
The Music Director will lead and develop FCCW’s music ministry, and will have the following major responsibilities:
- Plan and direct the music programs of the church. Such programs will integrate music into the various aspects of church life in a way that supports and complements the overall ministry of the church’s intergenerational worship services.
- Work with the Pastor and Creative Worship Team to plan music for all worship services in support of the liturgy and liturgical themes, including seasonal services such as Lent, Holy Week, an ecumenical Thanksgiving service (sometimes with combined choirs) and Christmas.
- Collaborate with the Pastor, Creative Worship Team, and other ministries of the church, to develop music programs that connect the congregation to the greater community through and beyond Sunday worship.
- Prepare musical aspects of weekly intergenerational worship services, including but not limited to selection of a variety of music, rehearsals of the choir which will present such selections, and coordination with organist, song leaders, singers and musicians.
- Use a broad spectrum of music and a variety of instruments.
- Introduce and teach unfamiliar songs to the congregation and facilitate congregational participation in singing of hymns and responses.
- Invite vocal soloists, groups, and instrumental musicians to provide a variety of musical styles.
- Provide or arrange for accompaniment in worship and special gatherings of the church, as needed.
- Encourage participation of children and youth in worship.
- Attend monthly Creative Worship Team meetings, and special worship planning sessions throughout the year.
- Maintain the music library.
- Experience in teaching and conducting choirs; minimum of 3 years of experience in a church-related setting preferred.
- Ability to read music, vocal coaching skills, and keyboard proficiency.
- Familiarity with a broad base of musical styles, including both liturgical and secular.
- Familiarity with basics of recording, desired.
- Flexibility, sense of humor, and strong collaborative and communication skills.
Works with, is supervised by, and reports to the Pastor, who will conduct the Annual Performance Review. During pastoral absences and vacancies, in accordance with our current bylaws, the Board of Trustees acts as both supervisor and HR Director for all staff.
This position is part-time, averaging 10 hours per week. Policies regarding sick leave, vacation time, and grievances are those stated in the Employee Handbook. Background check will be required.
Salary Range: $9800 – $12,250